Actually I don’t know anything about Charles Taylor the Republican House Rep from North Carolina. I just found it fun that he shares a name with the ex-Liberian president now on trial.
Charles G. Taylor, American-Liberian. Meaning born in Liberian but having American roots in his family. I know it’s common human rights protocol to condemn him as a warlord, but can I just say – this man fascinates me to no end.
Naturally if your family was hacked to pieces by his soldiers, you probably don’t want to hear this. But all the killing aside, this man is much more than a warlord. His behavior has been described by the BBC as that of a “showman” for his tactics during various moments as president where he would appear in distinct costume (military uniform or all in white) and his use of religion to justify his decisions (sounds familiar).
I’ve read the interviews over the years while observing his actions. With the reports coming out of the first days of trial, I’ve started thinking that perhaps Taylor fits the profile of a sociopath. I’m Portuguese from New Jersey, which makes me automatically qualified as an amateur social worker, so lets use the sociopath checklist on Taylor:
- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
- deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
- impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
- irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
- reckless disregard for safety of self or others
- consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain steady work or honor financial obligations
- lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
– evidence suggests — CHECK.
– seems to be his specialty. Check.
– not sure, but the fact that he got caught – check.
he started lots of wars, and he’s pretty aggressive in interviews. half-check.
the scores of dead and maimed would prove this one true. Check.
money has repeatedly gone missing under his care. Check.
well, he has collapsed on the ground and begged forgiveness from god. But during this trial he seems completely withoout remorse. So this ones hard to tell. Half-check.
I’ve said it many times before. The world needs an army of psychologists to be rapidly deployed wherever people are suffering or have suffered. They can evaluate the situation, work out the collective and individual issues that lead to conflict, and identify the leaders that are mentally unstable.
Shit, I just noticed there is additional criteria for classifying a sociopath. somebody get me Taylor’s childhood behavior record, I’m on the job.