Im still getting over jetlag and settling in here in the US. In the meantime here is a video entry recorded in Cambodia last month. It features my visit to the killing fields and the s21 torture prison.
An interview recorded in Bangkok with an HIV-AIDS organization that works with children and teenagers.
Friends International is a very unique organization doing some very revolutionary work in an often overlooked part of the world with the most overlooked people on this planet- street children. While in Phnom Penh I stumbled upon one of their restaurants by luck and asked about doing an interview. One day later, I was sitting down with Sébastien Marot, the international coordinator of friends international. Following the interview, he introduced me to actress, activist and concerned citizen Leslie Hope who also sat down for a drink with me to talk about the film she had just completed about Friends entitled – What I See When I Close My Eyes. After this surprise interview, I joined them both at the film screening and had one of the more unforgettable nights of my visit to Cambodia.
- I highly recommend learning about friends international
- Childsafe International
- as well as getting your hands on and passing on word about the film: What I See When I Close My Eyes
Music in this episode:
- The Breeders – Wicked Little Town
- Utah Phillips – Kid’s Liberation
- Phil Ochs. – Outside of a Small Circle of Friends
Bophana is an organization based in Phnom Penh, dedicated to finding and archiving video, audio, and text documentation of Cambodian culture. Throughout the decades of war and the destructive Khmer Rouge regime, much of the nation’s audio-visual archives were lost. But Bophana has taken on the task of gathering this material, from private individuals in the country, or institutions and film companies abroad. I was given an informative tour and a demonstration of how the archive works, later we recorded this podcast interview.
- What is Bophana
- Who is behind this organization
- Why should Cambodia need such a place
- Types of activities and areas of interest
- Funding sources, funding problems
- Difficulties with finding skilled workers for this type of work
- Apostle of Hustle – Folkloric Field
- Kanye West – Heard’em Say