CTRP485 Support Our Friend Karamoon

avatar Mark Fonseca Rendeiro Moderator Amazon Wishlist Icon

Matthew Karamoon is a longtime friend of this podcast who over the years has contributed his observations on and off the air. This summer he learned that he is dying of cancer that is uncurable. In an effort to survive longer and have more time with his young family, he is persuing immune therapy that comes at a price tag he cannot afford. Therefore we as a community of friends and yes even strangers, are getting involved and helping Karamoon get the therapy he needs. On today’s program I talk about Karamoon and go back to moments where he has been on the program. The goal here is to get more support… ┬áso if you’re reading or listening.. I’m talking to you.

Links for today’s show:

1. Most Important: Cancer Fund for Matthew on Gofundme
  2. Japan Earthquake Podcasts Featuring Karamoon in March and April 2011
  3. Karamoon’s Hope 6 Talk: “The Life and Times of Alan Turing”

18 thoughts on “CTRP485 Support Our Friend Karamoon

• August 18, 2016 at 4:20 am

An excellent podcast! I’m also friend of Karamoon so thank you so much for helping to get the word out about raising cash for his therapy.

• August 18, 2016 at 11:01 am

Hello Alex. Im glad to do something. I want to do more. I guess we all know that feeling right now…

• August 18, 2016 at 4:55 am

Brilliant and well spoken! An enjoyable listen. I’ll be donating shortly, and have a number of people in mind to share the fundraiser link with. We are all rooting for you Matthew.

• August 18, 2016 at 11:01 am

Hello Tyler. Thanks for the comment and your efforts!

• August 18, 2016 at 6:45 am

A treat to hear your earthquake story, Karamoon. I’ve donated and will continue to encourage our mutual friends to do so.

• August 18, 2016 at 11:00 am

Thanks for the comment and indeed for your action as well!

• August 18, 2016 at 7:01 am

It is madness in this day and age that advanced medical treatment is not available to all humans and only to those that can afford it. We are crowd sourcing to help out our fellow humans when this should be a fundamental right. Something in our society is broken. We are capable of amazing medical advancements but not the ability to provide to everybody who needs it.

My frustration at this broken system is eased slightly by my ability to donate to help out friends and strangers in need. I have donated and will forward to my social network.

• August 18, 2016 at 11:03 am

Well spoken Tracey… access to medical treatment based on money…it goes on that growing list of things that should not be acceptable yet somehow.. are. thanks for the comment and indeed… focus on the good things we can do in the meantime.

• August 18, 2016 at 9:54 am

Matt is my cousin and the family appreciate any publicity for this.any help to prolong the time he has left is prescious.
    Jesse

• August 18, 2016 at 10:59 am

Hello Jesse! Thanks for letting me know you’re out there and it is really the least I could do for Matt and your family.

• August 18, 2016 at 11:37 am

Matthew is a great friend and super student of the martial arts. I was devastated to hear about his condition. He has always been a great supporter of us at Kasumian Study Center. He is such a generous person. I hope we can all support him in this time of need. Thank you for supporting him and making this post!

• August 19, 2016 at 12:40 am

Hello! Matthew told me about you and the Center. Then I went and read the blog post you wrote.. it is beautiful. I now have a goal to come visit the center. Thank you for leaving a message and listening to this podcast.

• August 18, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Hey Mark

Thanks for putting this podcast together. Matthew and I have known each other since before I can remember, although I hadn’t been in touch for a while so it as shocking to hear that he had cancer. As you say, he needs to raise lots of money in order to get immuotherapy, so it’s great that people like you who can raise awareness are doing so, and it’s good to see that people are continuing to donate money to the cause, although more is always needed. I’d watched the Turing talk already, but it was interesting to hear you and Matthew talk about the 2011 earthquake.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Andrew

• August 19, 2016 at 12:35 am

Hi Andrew– thanks for leaving me a note. Im glad this podcasts and from what ive heard blog posts by other friends.. are all slowly but surely having an impact and the funds are coming in. Now Im looking for what else we can do. For now its great to hear from you.. and meet you so-to-speak. Keep in touch–

• August 19, 2016 at 7:16 am

I met karamoon during the preparations for the first BarCamp in Tokyo, the event during which Tokyo Hacker Space was founded, and his talks about software=hardware were really popular. People like him set things in motion and that energy will pass on and continue for generations, something I hope I contribute to as well. It’s about bringing people together, planting seeds in their minds, and inspiring them by example on re-thinking reality and pushing it forward. Happy to be pushing with you karamoon.

• August 20, 2016 at 1:36 am

Johan hello! I got to experience barcamp in Tokyo in 2008. Fond memories and indeed the energy you describe. Thanks for saying hello and sharing your testimony.

• August 21, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for doing this Mark! Matthew is an amazing person and dear friend whom I met in Japan several years ago. I just want him to get better and keep doing the things that he loves doing!

• August 21, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Alexis Im very glad to be able to connect with you and others listening… indeed I want the same. Lets hope our efforts and our energy helps.