I Will Continue the Tradition

flattr this!

Howard Zinn has died. The wonderful man who wrote books and gave speeches and walked picket lines and spoke out against war and tyranny… he has died.  The human who through his work, taught me so much about who am I, what I am passionate about, how the world came to be as it is.. learning about the world from the powerless instead of the powerful.

Howard Zinn has died and I never got a chance to thank him in person. I never got a chance to let him know, like so many throughout the world, I will continue to speak out, I will continue to try and give voice to the voiceless. I would have liked to tell him in person, but instead I will just continue the tradition…

“People in all countries need the spirit of disobedience to the state. The state that is not a metaphysical thing. But a thing of force and wealth. And we need a kind of declaration of interdependence among people in all countries of the world who are striving for the same thing.” – Howard Zinn 1970

You may also like...

6 Responses

1. luiz paulo says:

unfortunately I do not know your work, talk more about bicicly

2. Brian says:

For a guy that teaches history, I’m embarrassed to say I never got around to reading Zinn. Knew of him, of course, and agreed with him, but when you teach 5th graders, his interpretations of events would get me fired.

Of course, now I don’t give a shit and so I bought “Peoples” yesterday and am starting it now. Time for a new way of thinking at that age.

3. luiz paulo says:

4. bicyclemark says:

B Ill record some of the reading next week. The response so far is good so Ill have an array of enthusiastic readers!

5. Madeleine says:

The day Howard Zinn died I went to my bookshelf for A People’s History so that I could reread this great book. He was a an amazing person and the world will miss him.

6. bicyclemark says:

Thanks for comment. I did the same and I’m organizing a peoples history reading here in Amsterdam. It’s been fun preparing..