ctrp322 Newark Night Patrol

The story is not unique to Newark, all over the United States there are cities that are struggling. But what is unique is how citizens of Newark respond. Led by Newark Mayor Cory Booker, a man who loves his gadgets and social networking, groups of volunteers from all walks of life ride the streets of the city in packs of caravans, looking around to see what is going on, who needs help, and what doesn’t look right.  In cooperation with the police and department of public safety, the objective is to stem the violence, reduce crime, and show residents that people do care.  As the mayor himself said to me, it is also a chance for people from different backgrounds, races, religion, geographic locations, you name it – to meet each other and engage in this community activity together.

In this podcast I take you along on a night patrol with pack #2. Along the way you’ll hear stories, some serious, some not so serious, but each from a different volunteer with a unique connection to the city of Newark.  You will also hear from Cory himself, as he prepares us all before we hit the streets, and later on when he and I had a chance to talk about this initiative and how it has been received by the city.

6 thoughts on “ctrp322 Newark Night Patrol

• December 10, 2009 at 3:15 am

Nice job! well done… May be before you go back we can do it together!

• December 11, 2009 at 2:00 pm

because news like this show in Newark on the problem of violence the newspapers NYT, WP and others do not show too much to the world, as if in BRAZIL and something terrible, devastating ……

• December 11, 2009 at 9:19 pm

It was so nice to meet you Monday!

Rachel

• December 15, 2009 at 7:38 am

greetings mark…the pod cast sounds great! thank you for making us look good 🙂 i tried sending you a message but on my end it appears to not be going through. if that’s true please let me know the best way to shoot you a message. talk to you soon and have a great stay in newark!!

• December 16, 2009 at 7:50 am

Ai.. it didnt go through? oh no. Ok just use bicyclemark at gmail dot com for future stuff. Hmm I see you on twitter as well. Im on night patrol either sunday or monday coming up. still not sure. Lisa as well apparently. maybe see you there.. thanks for leaving a comment!

• December 16, 2009 at 7:51 am

good to meet you to Rachel.. now you know how to find me and I can find you.. yay.