Being Inspired

Let me start by sending a big thank you to my friends at Brooklyn College. Earlier today I spoke as a guest lecturer in a mass media course. The topic: citizenjournalism, blogs, and this expanding world that I’m a part of.

As true as it is that I like to talk and if given the chance I’ll go on and on. Even better to speak with a crowd that nods like they understand me. Like they’ve had related thoughts that my words remind them of. Or they have a more in depth opinion and idea that they’d like to throw at me to hear my response. The kind of crowd that is not out to try and insult you or prove you wrong somehow, but rather, a group that shares the same goal of wanting a better world, and finding ways for more voices to be heard and less misunderstanding between countries and cultures.

When it was all over, seeing some faces looking back at me with a look of “thanks for that”, and everyone that came over to shake my hand and talk further, it was the kind of interaction that washes away any trace of doubt or worry about pursuing my work as a citizen reporter. A good friend said to me “Yes remember this feeling tonight and the things people said to you after the talk, remember that whenever you feel down or lost as a dedicated podcaster.”

– I will. Thank you Brooklyn College.

12 thoughts on “Being Inspired

• December 4, 2007 at 9:22 pm

I think the class was probably happy to have a lecturer that NO ONE wanted to sleep with. BHAHAHAHAHA

I am sure you did a great job.

• December 5, 2007 at 5:10 am

thats it. Im coming to your house.

• December 5, 2007 at 9:10 am

Hi Mark,

you giving all these talks all over the place and often they
    are recorded, but mostly you’re not refering to them. (eg. at some barcamps or at the CCC). Is there or will there be a vid-/podcast on this one?

Kevin: Screw you pal ;)! Mark: Don’t give a damn about what Kevin is saying. You are the prudent, beefy, good looking guy he will never be. He is just jealous like all the time 🙂 Hopefully I’m writing on the right blog right now. LOOL. Nevermind!

I think its ok to leave a few links here for all you guys into
    nerd stuff and vidcasts with Mark on it. Be warned! Most of them are in English, but it seems that the german speakers bear a deep grudge against the English language 🙂

• December 6, 2007 at 12:06 am

Be encouraged Mark. I am one of the students from the lecture at Brooklyn College. I made a post on a bulletin using my mysace pages (one of which is myspace.com/TheFakeRapper to promote this website. Talk about “Word of mouse!” Anyway, I do believe that God is apart of you pursuing this. My hope is that you don’t stop asking Him “Why?” until the Lord answers you. Peace!

• December 6, 2007 at 6:34 am

Thanks Joshua. One thing Ill not soon forget is as I spoke seeing you understanding alot of what I was talking about and presenting your own insight into the world of producing content on the net, independently. I appreciate it… be well my friend.

• December 7, 2007 at 4:13 am

Hi Bicyclemark,

I enjoyed your talk, as I do your blog. I have been reading it off and on since Prof. D showed us your pod-cast this fall. I read a book by Naomi Wolf entitled “The End of America — A Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot” and a passage toward the end of it made me think of your writings. I hope it inspires you in the same way it did me.

She says:
    “At a time like this, it is up to U.S. citizens who are not part of the formal media world to publish online, research aggressively, check facts assiduously, expose abuses, file Freedom of Information Act requests, publish ‘zines, write op-eds, and take ownership of producing as much of the news and information stream they can … Blogging has led the way, because this is the access point for citizen journalism. But bloggers must take their impact far more seriously, becoming warriors for truth and accountability: citizens have to start to produce reliable ‘samizat’ … Bloggers must become rigorous and fearless documentarions and reporters — not just to critique the news, but also to generate the news. Citizens in every venue must now apply their work the accuracy and accountability that news editors traditionally expected of their writers and researchers. The locus of the power of truth must be identified not in major news outlets but in you. YOU — not “they” — must take responsibility for educating your fellow citizens” (p 131)

… And that, Bicyclemark, is exactly what you are doing. So, keep up the great work and never doubt the importance of your reporting. Look forward to seeing you talk again at Brooklyn College.

• December 9, 2007 at 7:48 am

Zoe.. thank you for that quote. So glad you shared it with me.. definitely inspiring. and with a comment like that well.. all I can say is thanks.

• December 7, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Here is some news you may not be aware of…This is what see:

• January 6, 2008 at 4:14 am

Hello Mark,
    I was one of the students in Professor Dunphy’s class and I can’t tell you how much I was inspired. I have a blog and it was on a standstill for months because I thought that people would find my blog useless. My blog is a fashion, music, life art and culture blog. I know that’s majority of the blogs out there but at nineteen I bought a little used audio recorder and I actually go out meet people and do interviews of upcoming young innovators. Im proud of myself and im not tooting my own horn, lol just proud that Im going after what I want on my own agenda!I don’t have the degree up under my belt but it’s practice and people have been reaching out. When you said there’s a passion inside thta keeps you blogging a little light bulb when off in side of me. I have the same feeling, you inspired me to be a “new age” journalist, Thank you so much!!

Visit if you ever get a chance http://www.crooklynchronicles.com

• January 6, 2008 at 9:34 am

Hey Patrice. Im happy you let me know that youve been working on something and in some way I helped you out.. thats good! keep working at it.. keep building.. and be prepared for those times where you lose that drive.. thats when you remember times like this, and keep going.