ctrp364 Venezuela in 2011

photo by flickr member: rahuldluccaIn 2011 Venezuela still gets a certain kind of press coverage by many in the mainstream media, as it has ever since President Hugo Chavez was elected. For the past few years, Eva Golinger has been taking a close look at how this reporting is done and who is behind it. Her work has led her beyond the media and into the world of American politics and Latin America Policy.

Joining me to discuss her work, Chavez, wikileaks, twitter, press freedom and to help give us an idea of how things are in Venezuela today, all the way from Caracas;  journalist, author and attorney Eva Golinger. She blogs at Postcards from the Revolution. She is also the editor of the english language edition of Correo del Orinoco.

We mention her book: “The Chávez Code: Cracking US Intervention in Venezuela”

8 thoughts on “ctrp364 Venezuela in 2011

• January 27, 2011 at 7:56 am

As an occasional reader of the Economist, who has always been irritated by the biased way the magazine tends to report about Venezuela, I was looking forward to a more balanced approach to the topic. The podcast was interesting and I decided to look for additional information. I was rather irritated when I found out that Eva Golinger is almost completely funded by the Venezuelan government, speaking of following the money trail.
    Some claims she made in the podcast seem to be unsubstantiated and the quality of her research appears to be at least partially disputed.
    Going into the podcast with high hopes for credible arguments supporting the government of Hugo Chávez, I was sourly disappointed with fluffy propaganda.

• January 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Hi Michael I have no desire to attack or reduce your comment in any way except 1 quick thing: IF you’re referring to the newspaper Eva works for, it is indeed a government funded newspaper. Like public radio or TV in the Netherlands, France, Germany etc. ITs funding comes from the legislative branch. Again, thats only if you’re referring to that publication. Ive read on different places where they try to say that Chavez himself funds the newspaper and Eva… ha.

• February 3, 2011 at 1:57 am

I too was looking forward to the podcast and was perplexed while listening. It sounded like someone from the Chavez press office. I don’t know what the details of finances are but I always find such fawning hero worship suspect.

• February 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

As right you should. Me I was still able to get something out of it. But if you werent, I understand that.

• February 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Eva Golinger, I will put that name in memory as an irrelevant and annoying interview subject. Obviously too biased to be remotely reliable, and the way she behaves and speaks without pause is both suspicious and annoying. It felt like the reporter tried to drag the interview back onto the table, but didn’t succeed very well. As such it obviously casts a shadow on ctrp as a less interesting or well-made episode.

• February 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Im not too worried about shadows. Its my program, I have who I want to have on. I don’t always know how its going to go, and my audience knows this. I repeat, I do what I want.

• February 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Straightforward answer, I respect that. And thanks for doing the show, regardless of how I may not like all the episodes.

• February 23, 2011 at 2:42 am

Aw. I appreciate it C-J. I promise/hope I am learning and improving all the time. As we all should 🙂