ctrp347 Arriving in Kabul

Arriving in Kabul is like arriving in no other country I have ever been to before. The beautiful beige mountains surrounding this city in ruins, with military and police presence seemingly everywhere,  it doesn’t take long before a visitor see’s something odd or funny, an instant story for whomever will listen later.

The following podcast is just an introduction to this journey, with a limited explanation as to what I’m doing here, what I’ve observed so far, and all kinds of additonal thoughts about Afghanistan.

11 thoughts on “ctrp347 Arriving in Kabul

• August 29, 2010 at 12:37 am

“An election held under the guns of a foreign occupation army cannot be called legitimate or democratic. That’s a basic tenet of international law.” http://j.mp/bq8u1J

As for your thoughts on continuing the occupation, the people of that country don’t want to be ruled by Americans. It’s no wonder Afghans glare at you in the street. There’s violence, oppression and total injustice right now. That there probably will be more violence in the vacuum a US withdrawal would leave doesn’t justify the US military staying, and besides, they should have thought of that before they invaded that poor country. Yeah, keep an open mind, blah blah blah. Frankly, I’ve heard enough–especially from employees of occupation connected foundations.

• August 31, 2010 at 7:55 am

If you’ve heard enough then I won’t bother responding beyond wishing you well. thanks for the comment.

• August 31, 2010 at 12:16 pm

This is a fascinating account, and I can’t wait to hear more of your adventures. Best wishes, Mark!

• August 31, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Rob!

• September 1, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi BM!
    First of all, congratulations! Im very glad you got this opportunity. I will be on the lookout for updates and reports from the field.

Stay safe,
    W

• September 1, 2010 at 11:01 am

All the best over there, Mark! I’m looking forward to hearing and reading more from your adventure!

What blog are you writing for? Can you post a link to it?

Cheers,
    Chris

• September 3, 2010 at 11:38 pm

its americablog.com Chris.. that reminds me.. I should post today.

• September 3, 2010 at 7:12 am

Great stuff, Mark. One of your best podcasts, perhaps because of the obvious tension — and giddiness! — evident in your voice from being in such a fascinating corner of the world. It’s funny, as I started listening, I wondered if, in the course of your travels, you ever find your opinion swayed… And lo and behold, you said as much with regard to the occupation. Hats off to you for speaking your mind and being honest. Stay safe, my friend.

• September 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm

David you’re to kind, these are but the ramblings of a crazy person. Yes its strange to hear me say Im now FOR the occupation to some extent… I dont like saying that even if its the feeling Ive gotten while being here.

• September 4, 2010 at 12:59 am

Crazy or not, it’s interesting to hear! Glad you’re making the most of your experience.

• September 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm