My Inspiration Forever

When I was a child, he would come over to the US and take family vacations with us.

I would listen to his stories of so many adventures he had just returned from.

He spoke so many languages and had this encyclopedic knowledge of the world.

I think even then as a child, I looked at him and listened to him; I wanted to be like him.

As a teenager I would spend parts of my summer with him in Lisbon, thrilled at the chance to go to work with him.

He had this way of plucking books and artifacts off his shelves, to show me some evidence of some historical occurrence. In the middle of a conversation he would start searching some stack of books or in some drawer for something magical that illustrates a point.

As a young adult and a student, I lived in his place in Lisbon. Spending wonderful days and nights, surrounded by his books and his things. Thrilled to be carrying on the tradition, and comparing notes any chance we would get, about what was going on in the city we both loved.

It should come as no surprise that years later I would plant myself in Amsterdam, with him only three hours away in Brussels.  Again whenever I felt alone in my adventures, I took solace in the fact that I had him nearby, always ready with advice or a warm home (and a loving family) for me to visit.

He followed my every move on the internet, the audio, the video… it was all filed away in his computer. Knowing this gave me a sign that I was doing something special, that the person whom I’ve look up to all my life, understood and enjoyed my dedication and purpose.

There was never a time that I wasn’t learning from him, about the world around us, about how we got to where we are, and even now… about life.

It is inadequate to write only one post and only these few lines about someone I love so much and will always love.  But when it comes to him, someone who has so much to do with who I am and so much of the joy I’ve had in this life, it is impossible not to tell the stories and shout it from the mountaintops- for all the world to hear.

My dearest cousin, you will always be my inspiration and guide as I make my way through this world. But of course, I know you knew that…

6 thoughts on “My Inspiration Forever

• December 22, 2008 at 10:52 am

My sincerest condolences on your loss.

• December 22, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear that, and it’s a terrible time of year to lose someone.

Hugs from me.

Tim

• December 23, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Mooi dat je zo’n speciaal mens hebt mogen kennen. Succes met het verwerken van het verlies. Knuffel uit Amsterdam!

• December 27, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Sorry to read that… Hope you’ll all manage each one of you, his family, in your own way, to live with his loss and perpetuate his memory in what he brought to your lives.
    You said well what he meant to you.
    Take care.

• January 16, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Conheci o Jorge no 1989, ele era na época o chefe de divisão de estudos e planemento no Instituto Florestal, eu um jovem licenciado italiano (da Sardenha) que acabava de ganhar uma bolsa de estudo para estudar em portugal os sobreiros e a cortiça.
    Ficamos logo grande amigos e ele foi o meu mentor nos meus primeiros passos na bohemia lisboeta.
    Como moravamos muito proximos, ele entre a mansarda da Bica e a casa do pai na avenida de roma, eu no Bairro Alto, a nossa frequentação, por muitos e bons anos, foi diaria, no trabalho e a noite (Fragil, 3 pastorinhos….que saudade)
    Lembro -me dele falar dos seus primos de Newark, mas nunca te encontrei com ele.
    Na minha casa os primeiros (ou quase) beijos entre ele e a Michelle, depois a mudança para a Belgica, a assistência amorável ao Pai que o trazia ca de volta muitas vezes, com o pequeno Manuel.
    Sei que tem sofrido muito durante a doença, nos, os muitos amigos dele, tinhamos noticias através do José Neiva, aqui em Lisboa,
    Aqui vão as minhas condolencias mais sinceras, para ti e os teus caros.
    Um grande abraço
    giuseppe

• January 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Giuseppe… lembro-me bem do teu nom… claro que o Jorge contava historias com o grande amigo Giuseppe. Sobretudo.. com as historias de Lisboa.
      Obrigado por ter escrito neste lugar.. e pelas tuas palavras.

Olha.. manda-me o teu email.. (o meu apparece no “about/contact” no inicio da pagina. Depois explico porque…