bm261 The Undereported Story of the Soy Industry

Soy is often looked at as the alternative bean, beloved ingredient for vegetarians and concerned citizens worldwide. Yet what do we know about the soy industry? How is soy being produced, by who, for who, and to what effect? My guest, Nina Holland of the Corporate European Observatory, sat down with me to explain how it all works, and what we should know about our soy.

Discussed:

Links:

Music:

• Vinicious Cantuaria – Corre Campo
  • Tom Brosseau – In My Time of Dyin

6 thoughts on “bm261 The Undereported Story of the Soy Industry

• May 6, 2008 at 6:43 am

Wow. Great reporting, very informative . . . and a little unsettling for a big soy eating vegetarian like me! Okay, maybe a little more than a little unsettling. I was not aware, not aware. .

This only emphasized my belief that the only way to go is incorporating sustainable living into urban communities (and people need to re-think their values)! If this insanity keeps up, nature is bound to assert its own authority by freeing itself from the stranglehold we have placed upon it with our reckless arrogance and domineering. . And with global warming and increasingly devastating natural disasters, nature will suffer no great loss by getting rid of us! It happened to the dinos!

Permaculture!

. . .Thanks for informing. Glad someone is.

• May 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Indeed Zoe.. thank you. I too was surprised.. especially at this strong connection between animal feed and soy, as if nothing else would do for animals. Surprised to hear how little soy goes to humans and that factoid about europe being ok with GMO soy for animal feed just not for humans.

URban small farms are next on my topic list.. so stay tuned.. i hope youll get something out of those programs as well.

• May 6, 2008 at 7:58 pm

a breath of fresh air, even if the air is soy-contaminated. i really appreciate the combo of posts and podcasts. it’s been a great few weeks for those of us who have long been singing about the need for a vegan diet in today’s world. it’s just such a shame that it takes a global food crisis to make people list. bring on the urban small farms i say!

• May 8, 2008 at 11:42 am

while poking around with readily available satellite photos of south america. i noticed massive areas such as in mato grosso where you can see the scale of deforestation – i believe these enormous patches are soy farms. other states in the heart of the amazon show the same story – scroll around to see for yourself.

thanks bm for this good piece of investigative journalism.

• May 16, 2008 at 8:53 pm

This is a brilliant interview dude! I more and more lean towards the vegetarian lifestyle based on the one fact that the grain used to feed cattle (as an example) can feed tones of more people. Unfortunately I REALLY enjoy pig meat; it’s the only meat I’d be extremely reluctant to give up.

I’ve started to drink soy because Nikki has managed to conveniently replaced my milk over the last year to soy or rice. Hearing this interview I’m not so sure that–as a consumer–soy is better than milk (or other alternative products).

It’s good to educate people about the details behind “alternative” options. Great job!

• May 17, 2008 at 1:02 am

well, most of the credit goes to Nina, she really knows her stuff.
      Good luck with the soy and the pigs meat.. I recommend raising your own pigs, that way you know theyre eating right. I still got the space in PT you can use for doing that.. hmm I think you do as well.
      Soy is still a good option if you agree with the research that points out the excess of dairy in the average diet, and how milk isnt necessary as a daily drink after a certain age of development.
      But indeed.. there’s sure to be drawbacks, even with soy.. so here we have one.