Next week I will move beyond the US elections, but so long as the big media does such a poor job of looking behind the show, I feel the need to bring forward whatever information I feel is of importance.
Some months back my internet colleague Chris Weagel recommended a media source to me, by the name of consortium news. I’ve subscribed to that site, and have indeed found useful information that is not available in the mainstream.
The latest eye-opening article went over Hillary Clinton’s income, on the heels of her 5 million dollar loan to her own campaign. Some people may not be surprised or remotely uncomfortable about the numbers, but I want to lay it out anyway.
According to author and journalist Nat Parry, Hillary’s income breaks down like this:
- Senate salary of $169,300 a year.
- From her memoir Living History, 9.9 million$
- $10.2 million for giving 57 speeches in 2006
And then there is husband Bill’s money coming from such places as:
- $20 million via business relationship with Yucaipa Cos., the investment firm of his longtime supporter, billionaire Ron Burkle, which has connections to the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum. – according to the Wall St. Journal
- Helped Canadian mining financier Frank Giustra in securing a lucrative uranium deal with the repressive government of Kazakhstan in 2005, shortly before Giustra made an unreported $31.3 million donation to Clinton’s foundation. – according to the New York Times.
This is just a taste, read the full post for details as well as links to the sources.
Seeing these numbers just makes me do a double-take, as sometimes I forget how very wealthy politicans in the United States can be; especially if they’ve lived in the white house.