bm244 The Arctic Cold War, My Talk at 24C3

The arctic is melting, scientists and citizens are concerned about what will happen to our planet if this keeps going at such a fast rate. Meanwhile governments and corporations are salivating at the chance to own some new land and exploit some resources. They’re so eager, they’ll use whatever means they have to get that control. This is audio of my talk given at the 24C3 last month in Berlin, it includes commentary where I wanted to add some context or explain further.

You can watch videos of the talks here. And always, full credit to the CCC for the audio and video.

10 thoughts on “bm244 The Arctic Cold War, My Talk at 24C3

• January 18, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Did you get any new subscribers as a result of your talk? How many subscribers do you currently have?

– Karamoon
    ps. Move to Japan.

• January 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

Did I get new subscribers.. you know I try never to look because statistics in this blog-podcast world will drive a person insane or to drink.. heavily. Ill check and Ill let you know in a private message.. but for the public Ill just laugh and say hahaha.. a few.

• January 19, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Loved the talk, though I think you were just on the borderline of not being serious enough.

All in all, it was enjoyable and informative.

• January 19, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I think you may be right sir. Thank you for popping in and commenting.

• January 21, 2008 at 3:40 am

Hi Mark, I saw RowC in twitter telling you that Steve Crilley @ fm4.orf.at had a show about the arctic cold war. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be an audio recording of this specifc show, although the show “Reality Check” seems to be recorded regulary (dont worry the show itself is in English). Here is the address of the programm for further information: fm4.orf.at/station/221389/main. Haven’t listened to any recorded show yet, but based on the information I found, he tries covering under-reported news topics like you do. If you somehow manage to find the recordings, I would like you to post the link.

• January 21, 2008 at 9:17 am

Ill see what I come up with Gerald.. but it will be awhile before I get to it. thanks for the tip.

• January 22, 2008 at 5:47 pm

The attitude of the Russian people towards the looming artic cold war, of not really giving a shit or if anything being satisfied for the increase in oil supplies – does that mean that ultimately we truly do have representative governments? I would imagine this would be the general attitude of most Americans. We might be a little more enthusiastic about the oil and especially more enthusiastic the potential for a stand-off and global strutting display.

At what point does the propaganda loop complete itself? Where do you draw the line between what citizens really want vs. what the elite’s propaganda tells them to want? And when do they two become one, so that it starts feeding itself?

While I can point to a lot of factors, I can’t pinpoint one single thing that explains Americans on a whole allow themselves to be fit into such a narrow spectrum of acceptable ideas. And why can I, in some limited fashion, see around the boundaries of that spectrum?

Is it something more than simple survival needs being taken too far and trumping everything? Is it lack of imagination? Is it the economy beating the desire to learn more out of most people? Is it the endless propaganda? Is it the hours most people voluntarily devote to ingesting that propaganda from TV? Is it something more or less?

Many Americans can feel the problems large events such as this looming Cold War cause in their lives. Yet we cannot seem to find our way out of the path. We cannot bring ourselves to really question our assumptions. It gets more difficult each day for me as I see myself again and again falling for this trap. How to maintain the balance of vigilance and trust?

Good presentation, Mark.

• January 26, 2008 at 4:14 am

sad and dark days Maik… dark days.