Happy Birthday Beeb

The BBC turns 75 today.

Why is that important?

Because in this world where everything can be privatized and no matter where you go there are commercials in your face trying to convince you to buy something, there is an alternative way to have a news channel. It is called public service, and back in 1922 some smart people in the United Kingdom realized why this would be valuable.

And while I know lots of Brits who will complain about the BBC.  I also know that those same Brits don’t want to lose their public service broadcaster.  They don’t want their news laced with wall-to-wall advertizing.  The BBC remains a model for what mainstream media COULD be like in the world, if certain world leaders and citizens were brave enough and resourceful enough to start their own BBC’s, instead of holding telethons or hoping that some mega-media corporation will be interested in reporting the news.

Happy birthday BBC. You may be mainstream, but you serve the world… and I salute you for it!

6 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Beeb

• December 19, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Yes! Hooray for Good old Aunty Beeb!

• December 20, 2007 at 9:38 pm

What the hell has happened to the BBC lately? They’ve turned into a bunch of wimps. I just read an article that they censored the word “faggot” out of The Pogues song “Fairytale of New York” this year. That is until Kirsty MacColl’s mother and a bunch of other people complained and pointed out that its insane.

• December 21, 2007 at 8:22 am

Hey my friend! glad to hear from you! I dont follow their articles about bands. But the world reporting is still damn diverse and helpful to me.

Hmm.. I should email you.

• December 21, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Yeah the reporting on the BBC is pretty good especially compared to what our other options are here in the US. Forget about the network news shows who basically care more about either scaring the crap out of you for stupid reasons or just getting people to watch their channel. How many times have we heard something like “And on CBS news, there is something in your kitchen that can kill you within a year. More on that, at 6pm”. Or we have Fox News which I’m pretty sure I don’t have to comment on. And there is CNN which to me is just a tad biased for my tastes. Obvioiusly not as overt as Fox, but still not 100% objective news in my opinion.

And yes, you should e-mail me.

• December 22, 2007 at 1:38 am

I’ll admit that some of the BBC radio shows are very good. However, 80% of BBC radio here in Germany is utter crap.

Pakistan, Pakistan, Pakistan, Chavez, Iran… and then every three verses throw in a Zimbabwe or Sudan.

Why don’t they talk about the fact the England is the most survailed country on the planet. Or maybe the fact that it makes absolutely no sense to have Tony Blair, one of the planets least trusted politicians, try to broker a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians. Etc…. etc… etc…

• December 23, 2007 at 1:41 am

Hey MArk! yah I recognize there’s plenty to criticize about the bbc. But overall Im glad they exist and it definitely up to us to push the envelope and try to get them to do their job properly.